- Summer 2017 term starts June 12th and ends on August 18th for 10 weeks.
Optional (1) graduate college credit available for this course @$50
This course has been designed to harness the power of an iPad to learn/teach music and is apt for music teachers and middle school / high school students. This course essentially takes you through a journey of musical exploration, and the best thing is you don’t even need to be a master of the iPad to take up this course. We have all the bases covered for you. The course begins with explaining the basic workings of the iPad, and then moves on to musical form. Subsequently, the course teaches how to successfully use and teach musical form, chord progression, music sequencing and song composition on an iPad.How exactly does this course work? What exactly does ‘learn to build music on an iPad mean’ and how does the whole process work? You don’t need to worry. The following series of steps outline each of the activities you would be accomplishing in the course in a sequential manner.
The videos for this course were made with an earlier version of GarageBand. Although things have changed slightly, you should still be able to follow along with the newer version of GarageBand.
Go through these and you would understand the nuts and bolts of the program:
- Understand the workings of an iPad.
- Understand the basics of musical form and map out on a sheet of paper your own song based on these musical forms.
- Develop an understanding of chord progressions and cadences.
- Use the musical form sheet you have generated as a blueprint to compose your song
- You take this song to an iPad and use Garage Band to generate a 5 part song.
- The song consists of drums, bass, piano, guitar, strings, and an audio track in Garage Band.
- Master the recording by completing the following: Mixing, Panning, Effects and Editing.
- Get the songs checked by the instructor, and voila, you are ready to publish your song online, email it to a friend, or share on social networks, and be the musical star you want to be.
Who can benefit from this course?
This course is intended for teachers and middle school / high school students. All you need is a computer with Internet access and an iPAD pre loaded with the Garage Band app.
- This is a pre-recorded course (consisting of video tutorials) and it gives you the option of completing it according to your own convenience.
- You download the tutorial assignment, follow the instructions, submit to the instructor as directed, and receive feedback from the instructor.
- You can complete the course materials on a weekly basis (usually 2-3 hours per week), or you can proceed at your own pace and finish the course early.
- For the complete list of sessions and a suggested study plan, you can refer to the comprehensive course outline provided at the bottom of the page.
- 23 tutorial videos and a few downloadable PDF's.
- Weekly Assignments
- Step by step video tutorials will be provided
- Weekly assignments you can submit to your teacher for feedback
Students must register within 2 weeks for the college credit with SPU after signing up for the course thru wiziq.
In order to enroll in this course you must first enroll here at wiziq. Once enrolled in the course then you may proceed below to register for the optional graduate college credit thru Seattle Pacific University.
To Register :Click Here and on left side Select the "music" category" and Click on "+" sign for Ipads in music classroom.
Cost for Credit
- (1) Graduate-level quarter credits are available for this course through Seattle Pacific University @$50 per credit.
Language of instruction: English